April 12, 2022
Lead Where You Live: AMO’s Guide to Running for
The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) understands there are many moving parts and things to know when it comes to running for municipal council.
With the October 2022 election in mind, AMO has assembled an easy-to-use guide that provides all the information you need when preparing to run for council. What you will find in AMO’s guide are important considerations on managing your campaign like:
- How municipal government works, including the role of council and structure of government
- Key things to know about managing a campaign, including key dates and eligibility requirements
- Rules related to campaigning, including campaign finance rules
- Tips for dealing with media/social media
- Election day and information about voting
- Key resources for after the election
Although the Lead Where You Live guide doesn’t get into the ins and outs of council and council meetings, it does highlight things you will want to get familiar with during your campaign so you are prepared should you be elected.
After the election, AMO will be providing a range of training and resources to help incoming councillors navigate the ins and outs of council meetings, legislation, staff-council relationships, conflict of interest and so much more.
This new and refreshed guide replaces AMO’s ‘So You Are Thinking of Running for Council’.
Note: This guide is for individual purchase and not available for reproduction or sharing.
Get your copy of Lead Where You Live here.