Building or Demolishing
Chief Building Official: Kevin Morris
What is a building permit?
The body responsible for enforcing Ontario’s Building Code in your area issues permits for the construction, renovation, demolition and certain changes of use of buildings, and for the installation, alteration, extension or repair of on-site sewage systems. Building Code enforcement is generally carried out by municipal building departments. In the case of on-site sewage systems, Algoma Public Health enforces on-site sewage system inspections in the Algoma District.
Why do you need to obtain a building permit?
Building permits allow your municipality to protect the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. As a result, by reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:
- the Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
- the local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings
- other applicable legislation, including conservation authority approvals and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.
When do you need a building permit?
You must obtain a building permit before you:
- construct any new building over ten square meters in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
- make renovations or repairs or add to a building
- excavate or construct a foundation
- construct a seasonal building.
You are required to obtain additional permits for the installation or any alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system. Algoma Public Health is the principal authority for the enforcement of the Ontario Building Code & Act as they relate to private on-site sewage systems in all areas within the District of Algoma. Please click on the link below in order to obtain further contact information:
Sewage System Program 2022 – Algoma Public Health:
The Township of Plummer Additional Municipal Office is responsible for processing all Building Permit applications and payments. Please contact the office if you have any questions concerning a building permit application or the need for a building permit at 705-785-3479.
Please click on the link below for the Building Permit Application:
© Queen’s Printer for Ontario, 2009.*