Building or DemolishingContact: Tulloch Engineering: Chief Building Official: Kevin Morris (705)842-3372, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is a building permit?
The body responsible for enforcing Ontario’s Building Code in your area issues permits for the construction, renovation, demolition and certain changes of use of buildings, and for the installation, alteration, extension or repair of on-site sewage systems. Building Code enforcement is generally carried out by municipal building departments, although in the case of on-site sewage systems, enforcement in some areas is conducted by boards of health and conservation authorities.
Why do you need to obtain a building permit?
Building permits allow your municipality to protect the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. By reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:
- the Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
- the local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings
- other applicable legislation, including conservation authority approvals and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.
When do you need a building permit?
You must obtain a building permit before you:
- construct any new building over ten square meters in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
- make renovations or repairs or add to a building
- excavate or construct a foundation
- construct a seasonal building.
Permits are also required for the installation, alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system.
Contact the township office if you have any questions about when a building permit may be required.
Please click on the link below for the Building Permit Application:http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Asset12410.aspx?method=1 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© Queen’s Printer for Ontario, 2009.*