Building Permits

The Township of Plummer Additional Municipal Office is responsible for processing all Building Permit applications and payments.  Please contact the office if you have any questions concerning a building permit application or the need for a building permit at (705)785-3479.

If required, alternate formats of the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish can be requested by contacting the Township Office.

Phone:  705-785-3479


Please click on the links below for the Building Permit By-Law:  Revised Fees and the Building Permit Application Form:

Building or Demolishing

Tulloch Engineering
Chief Building Official:  Kevin Morris
Phone:  (705)842-3372

You are required to obtain additional permits for the installation or any alteration, extension or repair of an on-site sewage system.  Algoma Public Health is the principal authority for the enforcement of the Ontario Building Code & Act as they relate to private on-site sewage systems in all areas within the District of Algoma. Please click on the link below in order to obtain further information:

Algoma Public Health Septic Inspection/Application Information

Sewage System Program 2022 – Algoma Public Health: 

2022 Land Control Letter to Municipalities and Installers

What is a building permit?


The body responsible for enforcing Ontario’s Building Code in your area issues permits for the construction, renovation, demolition and certain changes of use of buildings, and for the installation, alteration, extension or repair of on-site sewage systems. Building Code enforcement is generally carried out by municipal building departments. In the case of on-site sewage systems, Algoma Public Health enforces on-site sewage system inspections in the Algoma District.

Why do you need to obtain a building permit?

Building permits allow your municipality to protect the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. As a result, by reviewing and approving building plans before any work is done, the municipality can ensure that buildings comply with:

  • the Building Code, which sets standards for the design and construction of buildings to meet objectives such as health, safety, fire protection, accessibility and resource conservation
  • the local zoning by-law and other planning controls on buildings
  • other applicable legislation, including conservation authority approvals and certain requirements under the Environmental Protection Act.

When do you need a building permit?

You must obtain a building permit before you:

  • construct any new building over ten square meters in area or place another structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
  • make renovations or repairs or add to a building
  • excavate or construct a foundation
  • construct a seasonal building.


Demolition Permit

Before you take down all or part of a building, you will have to apply to your municipality for a demolition permit. The process is much the same as for a building permit, but some special situations may affect your application.

In a demolition control area, for example, you will not be able to demolish a residential property until you have received a demolition permit issued by the municipal council.

You may require a separate heritage approval from the municipality, or the Ontario Heritage Trust, including a heritage approval for the demolition of a building or structure located on the property, if your property is:  

  • designated under the Ontario Heritage Act,
  • located in a heritage conservation district, or
  • subject to a heritage conservation easement (a legal agreement to protect heritage elements that applies to anyone who owns the land).

If your property is not designated, but is included on a municipal heritage register, the Ontario Heritage Act requires that the property owner provide municipal council 60 days notice of their intention to demolish or remove a building or structure located on the property.

© King’s Printer for Ontario 2023.*

© King’s Printer for Ontario 2023.*